The pumpkin pie is a staple seasonal favourite and the most popular desert that you will find during Halloween celebrations. You can make this pumpkin pie recipe by using the flesh of your Jack-O’-Lantern, which means it’s essentially a fantastic desert that can made from the leftovers of your Halloween decorations. This scrumptious harvest treat is one that no Halloween party should be without.
Time: 30 minutes – 1 hour
What you need:
Filling: 450g – 1lb of pumpkin flesh, cut into 1inch chunks, 2 large eggs + 1 yolk, 75g dark brown sugar, 1tsp ground cinnamon , ½ level teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg, ½ tsp ground allspice, ½ tsp cloves, ½ tsp ground ginger. 275 ml double cream.
Pastry: used pre shop bought crust pasty case
- Pre heat oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas 4
- Open and prepare store bought crusty pastry case, aim for around 25cm diameter and 5 cm deep.
- Steam pumpkin, place is coarse sieve, extract excess water and seeds
- Lightly whisk eggs and egg yolks in large mixing bowl
- Add sugar, spices and cream to a pan and heat until simmering, mix together and pour over eggs, whisk again.
- Add pumpkin puree and whisk mixture together. Pour filling into pastry case
- Bake 35 – 40 minutes
- Remove from oven, cool, cover with foul wrap and place in fridge, serve chilled.